Marriage Certificate is an official document which establishes the marital status of a couple. Marriage Certificate is an important proof which proves your marriage and helps you during other purposes such as change of address(same as spouse), change in surname etc.
In India it is mandatory to register a marriage as per a ruling of Supreme Court in 2006. A marriage can be registered under the Hindu Marriage Act, 1955 or Special Marriage Act, 1954. Hindu Marriage Act only applies to Hindus and provides as a registration for a duly performed marriage. While under Special Marriage Act(applicable to all citizens) you can register and get your marriage performed as well by a Marriage Registrar. Legal age for marriage in India is 21 for males and 18 for females.
Documents required to Register a Marriage
Following documents are required to be submitted –
- Application form – properly filled up and signed by both the husband and wife.
- Age proof of both as the legal age for marriage is 21(males) & 18(females).
- Address proof of both – Aadhaar Card, Passport, Ration Card, Voter ID or Utility Bills
- 4 Passport Size Photographs each
- Marriage Invite Card
- Certificate of Solemnization(optional or if getting registered under Hindu Marriages Act)
- Attested copy of divorce or death certificate of previous spouse (if any)
- Photographs of Marriage – (of the couple and one with at least one family member)
In case of court marriage following additional things are required –
- PAN Card & Address Proof of 3 witnesses
- If one of the parties is foreigner, an NOC from the respective embassy
- An affidavit of the attested document of marriage by Magistrate or Sub Divisional Magistrate
Process of Marriage Registration or to get a Marriage Certificate
- Approach the Sub Divisional Magistrate, where the marriage has happened or where the couple has stayed for more than 6 months before marriage.
- Provide all the above documents
- Pay a fee of ₹100(Hindu Marriage Act) or ₹150(Special Marriage Act) to the casher and attach the receipt in the documents
- After due verification of all the documents and if the SDM is satisfied the certificate is granted(usually on the same day)
As you can see that registering a marriage can be a daunting task specially with the types of documents required to do the same. With Sorted AI you can automatically organize documents, keep it updated and access them 24×7.
Read about, eligibility & documents required for Christian Marriages, Sikh Marriages & Arya Samaj Marriage.
Gaurav heads Growth & Marketing at Sorted AI. He is an IIT Kanpur Alumnus. He has more than 5 years of work experience in Entrepreneurship & Investment Banking where he worked with Credit Suisse & Tapp Me. He is an avid Keyboard/Percussion Player & a better discount hunter.