Aadhaar Number is a Unique 12-digit number issued to citizens of India who opt for it voluntarily. It is a proof of residence for the person. Aadhaar Card is issued by UIDAI(Unique Identification Authority of India) through biometric & biographic profiling of an Indian Resident.
- 1st Aadhaar was issued way back on 29th September 2010 to a resident of Nandurbar in Maharashtra
- As of October 2019 we have 124 Crore+ Aadhaar holders in India
- NRIs & OCIs are not eligible to get an Aadhaar Card, it is available only to Indian Residents
- The age distribution of Aadhaar Card Holders – Up to 5 years of Age – 5 Crore+(Approx 4%), 5 to 18 years of Age – 27 Crore+(Approx 23%) and 18+ years – 92 Crore+(Approx 73%)
- Aadhaar is the World’s Largest Biometric Database
- UIDAI can generate, print and dispatch more than 15 Lakh Aadhaar Cards per day
- Aadhaar for Children(< 5 years of age) is linked to Aadhaar of their parents as their biometric keeps on changing frequently.
- As Aadhaar is linked with biometrics, if a person tries to fake an Aadhaar Card, either he will be caught or will be stuck for the fake identity for the rest of his life.
- Aadhaar Number is a sensitive information but not a secret. It is like your bank account number, though it is not advised to just put it publicly but it can be shared for various purposes.
- Iris scan can be skipped for people with eye ailments – retina damage, cataract or partial/complete blindness
- Aadhaar Number is the real identity of a person and not the card as such. It is verifiable online on UIDAI Website or Digilocker
- Aadhaar was officially declared as a “Hindi Word of the Year” by Oxford Dictionary in 2017
As Aadhaar is a critical document to prove your identity and address, you can maintain it on the highly secure Sorted AI Mobile App.
Want to know more about reissuing Aadhaar Card or using the online version of Aadhaar – read on – Fastest Way to Reissue Aadhaar
Gaurav heads Growth & Marketing at Sorted AI. He is an IIT Kanpur Alumnus. He has more than 5 years of work experience in Entrepreneurship & Investment Banking where he worked with Credit Suisse & Tapp Me. He is an avid Keyboard/Percussion Player & a better discount hunter.